Friday, April 30, 2010

Small mercy: fewer car alarms

As I was cycling home from work this evening, it struck me that my aural landscape is nowadays much less polluted by car alarms than it seems to have been 5 to 10 years ago. I don't think there are fewer cars, and I doubt the percentage of cars with car alarms has done anything but increase, so I wonder how this is possible. Are the alarm sirens now less obnoxious than they used to be? Are thieves better at stealing cars without setting off the alarms? Is it just that I've been living in a nicer and quieter neighbourhood post-2005 than pre-2005? Have I become less attuned to them? Whatever the reasons, I'm glad for this small mercy.

4 comments:

strasmark said...

I've noticed the same thing. I think the alarms themselves are smarter - less prone to going off without reason, more likely to turn themselves off if it isn't actually a break-in.

JAMES HIGGINS said...

I think probably most people realize that loud car alarms don't work as a deterrent. I mean, has anyone ever gone and checked to see if someone's car is being stolen when they hear an alarm? No, they keep right on eating, or whatever...

David Beeson said...

Perhaps it's more like a dog. Our dog would make a lot of fuss if a burglar broke in, and then expect him to make a lot of fuss of her, at which point she'd stop barking. Perhaps once a car realises you're going to let it do what it liks best, i.e. drive around, it just stops complaining.

Stephen Chapman said...

Whatever happened to your lovely blog?

Remember '5 on the fifth' on my blog? It's coming up to it's 25th month in July!!!!